Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I am from Heng Ah Khe Bong primary from p1-3 and Rosyth from p4-6. I have been in a really BAD primary school and a really good primary school.

Seriously your peers does make a LOT of difference to your schooling life. It is not about the school or the teachers, but the classmates.
    I totally agree that you want your kids to be in the right company. By right company, I mean peers that have a correct attitude towards school life and learning.... etc Not like what teddybear said about making connections with children of famous/rich/influential parents. I believe the motive must be right.

Most of the kids drift into bad behaviour in secondary school not primary school. That's where the acadamically weaker students are sifted by the system to come together and foster even worse behaviour.

Btw, out of curiosity, why did you move from Heng A Khe Bong to Rosyth and bear suffering waking up at 6am? In Toa Payoh at that time there was Pei Chun, Poi Ching which are fairly good schools. Would it be because of GEP?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    why wait until your kid is independent? Can travel when your kid are small. Very fun actually.
    No the family holidays are separate. We also want to go for activities and places that the children don't want to join in.

Agreed. There are some places that do not appeal to kids but more for adults like the silk road or the mediterranean countries which the young kids will most certainly find them boring.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Agreed. There are some places that do not appeal to kids but more for adults like the silk road or the mediterranean countries which the young kids will most certainly find them boring.
    Yeah anyway after a certain age, the kids would rather go with their friends than with us.

just a friendly reminder ...

stick to the title of the thread ...

otherwise Jadey will complain ....

For teenage kids, we want them to be in the better class if not the brst in that cohort in that school. At least they hve better company.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Yeah anyway after a certain age, the kids would rather go with their friends than with us.

Anyway, just to bring back to topic. near to a good primary school, like it or not, is one of the draws for a property. Near to a good secondary school maybe not so much, but primary school definitley.

Yet, strangely enough, people don't want their house to be right next to a primary school or facing it for that matter. It gets very noisy. So, they want it to be near so that it has better resale value, but they don't want it to be right next to it. Wierd right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldenfirefly
    Anyway, just to bring back to topic. near to a good primary school, like it or not, is one of the draws for a property. Near to a good secondary school maybe not so much, but primary school definitley.

Yet, strangely enough, people don't want their house to be right next to a primary school or facing it for that matter. It gets very noisy. So, they want it to be near so that it has better resale value, but they don't want it to be right next to it. Wierd right?
    Just like people want their house to be near MRT station, but not right next to it, isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Eldenfirefly

I heard someone commented another reason why people don't like houses to be directly beside the school is if the parent pay good money to stay just beside the school but was unsuccessful in getting their child in, then every morning when the school reminds them of patriotism, they will also be reminded of their failed attempts for the next many years! Worse still they are not Singaporeans who have to listen to Majulah Singapura every school day morning!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Ha ha ha! I am just being brunt because I don't beat around the bush. Great friendships are forged when young. I won't be a hypocrite to say that "no doesn't matter, you still make great & reliable friends when you go to Pre-U & University!". Some people do want others to believe so so that there will be less people to fight with their kids for places in the "named" schools.

So, won't the greatest company be kids in the "named" schools where they will forge great & reliable long-term friendship isn't it? What best than to make great and reliable long-term friendship with those who will be future influential politicians, business leaders, big bosses, etc? Won't that be the greatest help for their future work/political etc career and businesses (if they become own bosses)?
    You are saying that kids from "named" schools do not have a correct attitude towards school life and learning?

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    I totally agree that you want your kids to be in the right company. By right company, I mean peers that have a correct attitude towards school life and learning.... etc Not like what teddybear said about making connections with children of famous/rich/influential parents. I believe the motive must be right.

Most of the kids drift into bad behaviour in secondary school not primary school. That's where the acadamically weaker students are sifted by the system to come together and foster even worse behaviour.

Btw, out of curiosity, why did you move from Heng A Khe Bong to Rosyth and bear suffering waking up at 6am? In Toa Payoh at that time there was Pei Chun, Poi Ching which are fairly good schools. Would it be because of GEP?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Ha ha ha! I am just being brunt because I don't beat around the bush. Great friendships are forged when young. I won't be a hypocrite to say that "no doesn't matter, you still make great & reliable friends when you go to Pre-U & University!". Some people do want others to believe so so that there will be less people to fight with their kids for places in the "named" schools.

So, won't the greatest company be kids in the "named" schools where they will forge great & reliable long-term friendship isn't it? What best than to make great and reliable long-term friendship with those who will be future influential politicians, business leaders, big bosses, etc? Won't that be the greatest help for their future work/political etc career and businesses (if they become own bosses)?
    You are saying that kids from "named" schools do not have a correct attitude towards school life and learning?
    You obviously do not have kids or they are very young. After primary six, the kids move on to secondary school and make new friends there. You will be teaching your kids all the wrong values if you tell them that they are in the school to network for life.

Students in some mission schools have very strong ties and community spirit especially for the true blue ones. They are connected very well even when they are meet each other in working life. They do not need to be told and they is a natural bonding and look after each other.

Don't need to teach one, just put them together & naturally they become friends.
    And by the way, most will continue to their affiliated "named" sec school anyway. The left over vacancy in that named sec sch then leave to outside applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    You obviously do not have kids or they are very young. After primary six, the kids move on to secondary school and make new friends there. You will be teaching your kids all the wrong values if you tell them that they are in the school to network for life.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit

I was Pri 3 at that time. I did not know I had to wake up at 6am. It was because of GEP and in those days there were only TWO schools that offer GEP. ACS primary and Rosyth.

My parents put me into Heng Ah Khe Bong... I don't think they will be so hardworking as to transfer me to PieChun at P3.

Ha ha ha! I am just being brunt because I don't beat around the bush. Great friendships are forged when young. I won't be a hypocrite to say that "no doesn't matter, you still make great & reliable friends when you go to Pre-U & University!".
    i doubt it, how many primary school friends that you are still in contact with? maybe FB helped a bit but i think lasting friends are the ones in university because they are the ones that journey into adulthood together....

Many.

University friends? Mostly all "surface surface" friends, all be-friends and contact you when they need your help 1 way or another and then disappear thereafter. Nowsadays Pre-U friends also untrust-worthy (heard many parents commenting), many like that "get out of my elit's face" type, and say 1 thing and do another or say different thing behind your back! You heard of the incidents related by Lee Wei Ling on Straits Times regarding those RJC students?

Quote Originally Posted by cl0ver
    i doubt it, how many primary school friends that you are still in contact with? maybe FB helped a bit but i think lasting friends are the ones in university because they are the ones that journey into adulthood together....

Different people have different dynamics with friends. Some make good pri sch friends, some sec school while others tertiary and uni. I for one are no longer in contact with my pri and sec sch friends (lost contact) and meet JC and uni friends only about once a year or something. So I probably belong to the super no network person. Different people have different friendship dynamics lah!

a friend got into a "named" school via ballot this morning ... darn lucky, ballot also can get

now he asking to purchase a place near the "named" school.

so some parents will shift to a place near a "named" school only after confirming that their child can gain admission.

so anyone want to provide suggestions for a place "near" NYPS?

- 3 bedroom
    - $1.5M max
    - freehold preferred
    - walking distance to NYPS

i think his criteria quite tough to fulfill

here's one that i emailed him
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...s-road-5171942

doesn't fulfill his freehold criteria ... but HDB asking for $900K

if he got in this morning via balloting, then its phase 2B so at least he has done some volunteer work lah. not like he din do anything.

i agree. get in liao then buy near location.

old old http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...utheran-towers also not bad what. BIG somemore.

FH also have but shelford area:

Brand new but mickey mouse:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...ateau-shelford

older:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...-shelford-road

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...rk-condominium

Quote Originally Posted by x11
    a friend got into a "named" school via ballot this morning ... darn lucky, ballot also can get

so some parents will shift to a place near a "named" school only after confirming that their child can gain admission.

- 3 bedroom
    - $1.5M max
    - freehold preferred

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    if he got in this morning via balloting, then its phase 2B so at least he has done some volunteer work lah. not like he din do anything.

i agree. get in liao then buy near location.

old old http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...utheran-towers also not bad what. BIG somemore.

FH also have but shelford area:

Brand new but mickey mouse:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...ateau-shelford

older:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...-shelford-road

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...rk-condominium
    thanks. must ask him to come here and "share" how he got in.

adam park looks interesting. is shelford area a little off the radar? D11, freehold, $13XXpsf, 800m to Botanic Garden MRT, that sounds like quite a deal...

Worst scenario can rent LH99 terrace house. A friend did that when their kids are studying there.

- 3 bedroom
    - $1.5M max
    - freehold preferred

X11, ur friend ballot NYPS ? He must be already within 1km already isn't ?

thanks. must ask him to come here and "share" how he got in.

adam park looks interesting. is shelford area a little off the radar? D11, freehold, $13XXpsf, 800m to Botanic Garden MRT, that sounds like quite a deal...
    Shelford side is the cheaper side to be within 1km of NYPS.

To be realistically walkable, it has to be duchess / coronation side.

1.5m very tough. Stretch a bit FH brand new Dukes residences new 1.8m 2bd doable ?

Or duchess crest old 99LH, think 1.6m can get 3bd

yah hor. hehehe. orr...kelong, used fake address!

Quote Originally Posted by amk

- 3 bedroom
    - $1.5M max
    - freehold preferred

you sounds so sourgrape! ahaha...

I got a friend want to get his boy into PeiHwa purchased Maplewoods 3 bedrooms ard 1000psf for S$1.2mio....

Probably knows someone sitting on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    yah hor. hehehe. orr...kelong, used fake address!

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    ahem! I asked the same question too

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    you sounds so sourgrape! ahaha...

I got a friend want to get his boy into PeiHwa purchased Maplewoods 3 bedrooms ard 1000psf for S$1.2mio....
    me sourgrape? no lah. no need to be sour. i'm happy where i am and where my kids are at

x11 is ur friend sirname "Tay" ? ha ha ha

seriously. for a condo within 1km and realistically walkable, the choice is extremely limited. can count within one hand. duchess residences, duchess crest, duchess royale, the tresor, duchess manor, dukes residences, lutheran tower. farrer side got to use the new CCL MRT underpass u have levelZ, spanish village, the 2 gallops. that's abt it.