Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    x11 is ur friend sirname "Tay" ? ha ha ha

seriously. for a condo within 1km and realistically walkable, the choice is extremely limited. can count within one hand. duchess residences, duchess crest, duchess royale, the tresor, duchess manor, dukes residences, lutheran tower. farrer side got to use the new CCL MRT underpass u have levelZ, spanish village, the 2 gallops. that's abt it.
    thanks for the list ... agree that $1.5M tough but my personal preference as i related to him over email was the shelford side. the units there are mostly freehold and is considered sufficiently "near" to school and the upcoming MRT stations, still $1.5M for a 3BR is a tough ask.

"The TAYs" staying in holland area - don't think within the 1km ... more likely within 2km. Wonder if they got in ...

buying house for primary schools is the last thing any parent should do. So many kids studying in branded schools with poor results , so many kids I know studying in neighbourhood schools doing much better. Kids must have the right nurturing at home and right attitude towards studies, most importantly if they have lousy genes, hard for them to excel also (You should watch the show 'gattaca')

Maybe someone saw the same show when the Grad Mother's scheme was launched!

Normal people even the rich/priviledged make rational decision based on the system.

Should the system change,then some properties would lose some of their premium. But I reckon, not likely.
    Anyway - sometimes it's not totally about the results, it's the connections and network that these branded schools bring to the not so talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    buying house for primary schools is the last thing any parent should do. So many kids studying in branded schools with poor results , so many kids I know studying in neighbourhood schools doing much better. Kids must have the right nurturing at home and right attitude towards studies, most importantly if they have lousy genes, hard for them to excel also (You should watch the show 'gattaca')

so are you saying that if parents are alumni of a school but stay 5km away, they should not move? instead torture the kid on over an hour bus ride 2 ways?

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Anyway - sometimes it's not totally about the results, it's the connections and network that these branded schools bring to the not so talented.
    In my opinion, connections and networking at primary school level is way way over-rated.

1) friendship is fickle at this level.

2) as a student progresses up, they are split according to their academic ability. This further weakens the already fickle friendships.

3) at PSLE, the big split comes. If your child is not of the right calibre and moves on to a normal school while his classmates progresses to IP schools, his self esteem will be super low.

If anything, the who's who of future Singapore are in RGS, RI, HCI, NUS High....etc Make it there on your own merit and people will want to rub shoulders with you not the other way around. To make it there, you can come from anywhere, need not be brand named primary school.

Personally I think there is too much emphasis on schools rather than actual education.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    In my opinion, connections and networking at primary school level is way way over-rated.

1) friendship is fickle at this level.

2) as a student progresses up, they are split according to their academic ability. This further weakens the already fickle friendships.

3) at PSLE, the big split comes. If your child is not of the right calibre and moves on to a normal school while his classmates progresses to IP schools, his self esteem will be super low.

If anything, the who's who of future Singapore are in RGS, RI, HCI, NUS High....etc Make it there on your own merit and people will want to rub shoulders with you not the other way around. To make it there, you can come from anywhere, need not be brand named primary school.

Personally I think there is too much emphasis on schools rather than actual education.
    Precisely, that is why I am super willing to let my younger son enroll in Qifa even though we are super close to Nanhua.

If he is good, studying at Qifa will not slow him down. If he is no good, getting into Nanhua will not help at all.

I am also alumni of acs but in my opinion, acs is not even comparable to some neighbourhood schools. I would never even bother sending my kid to acs not to mention buying a place near the school coz I do not think such a school can inculcate the right values in my kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by cl0ver
    so are you saying that if parents are alumni of a school but stay 5km away, they should not move? instead torture the kid on over an hour bus ride 2 ways?

I am also alumni of acs but in my opinion, acs is not even comparable to some neighbourhood schools. I would never even bother sending my kid to acs not to mention buying a place near the school coz I do not think such a school can inculcate the right values in my kid.
    Which neighborhood schools are you comparing with ACS?

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    Precisely, that is why I am super willing to let my younger son enroll in Qifa even though we are super close to Nanhua.

If he is good, studying at Qifa will not slow him down. If he is no good, getting into Nanhua will not help at all.
    Sorry I am not familiar with the background but at the end to which school you sent your younger son and other kids?

On a separate note, how about those "normal" kids fall in between your definition of "good" and "no good"? When education, not necessary that of branded school but a reasonably good school, help for those kids?

buying house for primary schools is the last thing any parent should do.
    funny. how does the above statement lead to the following statement, logically ?

So many kids studying in branded schools with poor results , so many kids I know studying in neighbourhood schools doing much better.

ACS is lousy school? thanks for the heads up, will avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    ACS is lousy school? thanks for the heads up, will avoid.
    this guy did a "ranking" of the schools:

http://www.channeleducation.com.sg/2...-Singapore.php

and yes it confirmed ACS is a lousy school ha ha ha

At number 21 and 22 out of 177 schools is considered lousy? Which standard are you using?

Not lousy school lah... tier 2 is really not bad.

But it is important to note

1) that there are many neighbourhood schools in Tier 1 (and Tier 2)

2) ACS(Pri) and Nanhua are the only GEP schools not in Tier 1. This means that despite having GEP, the overall performance in these two schools have pulled them down to Tier 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    At number 21 and 22 out of 177 schools is considered lousy? Which standard are you using?
    ACS(Pri) and ACS(Junior) are not 21 and 22 position. The list is alphabetical. Nevertherless Tier 2 is actually quite good.

I was referring to parents who move house to get their kids into a good school just bcoz they do not want to send their kid to a neighbourhood school. My point is neighbourhood school kids can excel in life and academically even without going to the so called elite schools
    funny. how does the above statement lead to the following statement, logically ?

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    ACS(Pri) and ACS(Junior) are not 21 and 22 position. The list is alphabetical. Nevertherless Tier 2 is actually quite good.
    Yes just realised it too. Yes no. 21 to 37 is still pretty decent out of 177.

I was referring to parents who move house to get their kids into a good school just bcoz they do not want to send their kid to a neighbourhood school. My point is neighbourhood school kids can excel in life and academically even without going to the so called elite schools
    But the fact is that some neighborhood schools are better than the others. What if the neighbourhood school near your house happens to be one of those "not so good one"? Will you still send your kids there and let your kids' talent, your gene, and your home nurturing to decide?

If your kid is good, he/she will be among the top in the neighbourhood school. Many neighbourhood school kids end up in river valley high, SST, NUS high etc. The trend I see is parents who spend more time at home drilling their kids in exam papers will end up doing better than kids who just rely 100% on the school system. If your kid has the right attitude, they will excel wherever they go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinCity
    But the fact is that some neighborhood schools are better than the others. What if the neighbourhood school near your house happens to be one of those "not so good one"? Will you still send your kids there and let your kids' talent, your gene, and your home nurturing to decide?

Whether the child does well of course depends on the genes (nature) and parental guidance (nurture). My daughter is currently in one of the Tier 1 schools. I must say, the teachers are extremely dedicated. Everyday, I receive, without fail, an email from the teacher to update what has been taught in class, what needs to be done and what homework to do. I can then coach my daughter and do revisions with her. I think it is extremely useful. I do not know if the other schools do this on a consistent basis. I know my sons schools do not even though the school is also a Tier 1 school.

Receiving emails on topics done in school might be convenient to the parent but in fact, all that parents need to do is check the kid's workbooks to know what they do in school. This takes hardly a minute for the parent to do on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Whether the child does well of course depends on the genes (nature) and parental guidance (nurture). My daughter is currently in one of the Tier 1 schools. I must say, the teachers are extremely dedicated. Everyday, I receive, without fail, an email from the teacher to update what has been taught in class, what needs to be done and what homework to do. I can then coach my daughter and do revisions with her. I think it is extremely useful. I do not know if the other schools do this on a consistent basis. I know my sons schools do not even though the school is also a Tier 1 school.

If your kid is good, he/she will be among the top in the neighbourhood school. Many neighbourhood school kids end up in river valley high, SST, NUS high etc. The trend I see is parents who spend more time at home drilling their kids in exam papers will end up doing better than kids who just rely 100% on the school system. If your kid has the right attitude, they will excel wherever they go.
    Will any parents just send their kids to any neighbourhood school without any evaluation in advance?
    I think this theory only works when the schools are reasonably fine, at least around average. For those school below average, I believe that parents shall look for alternatives.
    Talented kids will stand out in any school theoretically. For those young kids, parents can do as much as they can to nurturing them at home, but you can never control what kind of peers they meet in school. For kids of primary school age, they absorb anything and everything around them without much discretion and parents' permission.
    I am not saying all branded schools are good and neighborhood schools are inferior, but parents must do all the necessary check for the sake of their kids before sending them to any school

it doesnt make sense....
    lets say you are in my shoes. staying in Clover.
    so, aitong and catholic high is out since almost impossible to get in.
    what are your choices? Do you send your kid to ACS under phase 1?
    or you just wait for phase 2c and pick whats available like Townsville and Teck Ghee?

Go to whichever school they assign you near to your home if can't get into school of your choice. The school at home is the most important not the school outside.
    it doesnt make sense....
    lets say you are in my shoes. staying in Clover.
    so, aitong and catholic high is out since almost impossible to get in.
    what are your choices? Do you send your kid to ACS under phase 1?
    or you just wait for phase 2c and pick whats available like Townsville and Teck Ghee?

wow, so you wont even register in 2C, just sit back and wait for 2C supplementary.....
    or are you saying that you will pick the nearest even if it is suicide, like Catholic High and if not successfull, you let the MOE select the next nearest, which is probably Townsville or Teck Ghee?

interesting...

Why should it be suicide if everything taught in primary schools are based on a standard syllabus. If you are familiar with the primary school syllabus and how schools set exam questions, you will have a different perspective. There are neighbourhood schools with tough exams and there are top primary schools with exam papers that are only so so. Teachers also vary regardless of whether they come from branded or non branded schools.
    wow, so you wont even register in 2C, just sit back and wait for 2C supplementary.....
    or are you saying that you will pick the nearest even if it is suicide, like Catholic High and if not successfull, you let the MOE select the next nearest, which is probably Townsville or Teck Ghee?

interesting...

Interesting dialogue between 2 parents w different expectations and personal beliefs. Learn a tip or two.

Why should it be suicide if everything taught in primary schools are based on a standard syllabus. If you are familiar with the primary school syllabus and how schools set exam questions, you will have a different perspective. There are neighbourhood schools with tough exams and there are top primary schools with exam papers that are only so so. Teachers also vary regardless of whether they come from branded or non branded schools.
    i think you missed the point. I'm not comparing the reason why you would go for neighborhood schools as opposed to popular schools. i'm referring to your laid back attitude when it comes to registration for primary schools.
    you give the impression that you would not even get out of bed to register your son for P1 and prefer to leave it to fate. As an alumnus, you would pass on ACS which many would find it bizzare, perhaps proximity could be a valid reason (that's your prerogative).

But i'm unclear as to whether you would even bother to register in 2C or just opt out and wait for 2C supplementary to decide your fate.
    Thinking that you will of course register in 2C, your response clearly imply that criteria is proximity and if CHS is the nearest but knowingly the success rate is 20%, you will still do it (hence my reference to the term "suicide")

Bro, I understand u from education business. But something I don't understand, maybe u can enlighten. Assuming syllabus is same, n teacher standard is random-depends on lvl of commitment. How do schools get tier 1 statues? Isn't it by their higher average scores?

If 2 points remains constant, then it's means tier 1 school got better family up bring? I m confused.....

you misundertstood me as well, i am not saying parents should just sit back and wait for things to happen, of course they have to do their part and register their kids for P1, but what i am against is if you are living in jurong and are eligible for primary schools in jurong, you would instead want to move to coronation just because you want to get your kid into nanyang. i know many parents who buy homes just to get their kids into this school and that school which i think is silly. As for ACS, i have no qualms about passing that school coz i know what kind of parents that school has (hasn't changed much all these years). As a kid in that school, I was exposed to the kind of elitist way of thinking and the snobbery in that school is just unbelievable. I once had a P2 classmate bringing more than $1000 to school just to give to friends he liked and teachers in the school tended to like kids from those rich families who gave generous donations by the tens of thousands each time. Some kids i knew never took the public transport before and chauffeured everywhere they went.

i think you missed the point. I'm not comparing the reason why you would go for neighborhood schools as opposed to popular schools. i'm referring to your laid back attitude when it comes to registration for primary schools.
    you give the impression that you would not even get out of bed to register your son for P1 and prefer to leave it to fate. As an alumnus, you would pass on ACS which many would find it bizzare, perhaps proximity could be a valid reason (that's your prerogative).

But i'm unclear as to whether you would even bother to register in 2C or just opt out and wait for 2C supplementary to decide your fate.
    Thinking that you will of course register in 2C, your response clearly imply that criteria is proximity and if CHS is the nearest but knowingly the success rate is 20%, you will still do it (hence my reference to the term "suicide")
    Last edited by Regulators; 01-08-11 at 23:57.