Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Default FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

I have a boy who is now 2.5 years old. Like many parents I would like to enroll him to a good primary school.

My wish list

• Within 1km to good school
    • Freehold Full condo facility
    • Near MRT preferred and within 5 minutes walk.
    • Budget around 1m. (don’t scold me if budget too little, feel free to suggest the right price)
    • Prefer central areas, Bt Timah or D11
    • Min 2 bedder with liveable size of 1000 sq ft. 3Bed would be ideal.
    • For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp)
    BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

How to improve the chance?

How much building fund donation needed to improve the chance?

Watten estate condo, 19 shelford both less than 1 km to NYPS.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    I have a boy who is now 2.5 years old. Like many parents I would like to enroll him to a good primary school.

My wish list

• Budget around 1m. (don’t scold me if budget too little, feel free to suggest the right price)
    BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

currently with this price , very difficult FH and some more near MRT next door(within 5 mins is next door ) with 3 + 1...also usually near mrt are 99 ....

can try king albert park, near pei hwa presbytarian. if you dont mind hdb then those hdbs in toh yi drive even nearer

If you are an old boy of a good primary school then you get first priority and you need not stay that near....

I think also there are many FH condos near good schools but the main question is what budget you have...

My wish list

1k sqft and 1mil quantum.....u expecting 1kpsf for FH in D21,11 near MRT and full condo....wah....i aso want if u can find one more for me

what will be the right price? I don't mind old condo. Thanks ya.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    1k sqft and 1mil quantum.....u expecting 1kpsf for FH in D21,11 near MRT and full condo....wah....i aso want if u can find one more for me

actually to guarantee surefire, just live within 1km and volunteer in RC/CC and your MP will make sure you get a place...lol

To Latio
    Thanks for the info will check it out.

To azeoprop
    Thanks for the link. This is really helpful, will solve some of my questions. The ranking of Nangyang primary (mixed schoo rightl?) is so high and must be very popular. Not sure got any chance ~ will read more.

To peterng8
    Not considering LH which means I must up my budget. Hope can fish out a good bargain during this period.

To Regulators
    Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out as well. Cannot buy HDB liao cos also holding another private ppty.

To mantrix
    Unfortunately not old boys. I am hoping to pay off quickly so having the budget of 1m.

I dont mind central areas, I keep my options open at this moment.

let us wait for market to cool further before you jumping in.

To Latio
    Thanks for the info will check it out.

To azeoprop
    Thanks for the link. This is really helpful, will solve some of my questions. The ranking of Nangyang primary (mixed schoo rightl?) is so high and must be very popular. Not sure got any chance ~ will read more.

To peterng8
    Not considering LH which means I must up my budget. Hope can fish out a good bargain during this period.

To Regulators
    Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out as well. Cannot buy HDB liao cos also holding another private ppty.

To mantrix
    Unfortunately not old boys. I am hoping to pay off quickly so having the budget of 1m.

I dont mind central areas, I keep my options open at this moment.

what will be the right price? I don't mind old condo. Thanks ya.
    how about signature park....according to onemap.sg: pei hwa and bukit timah pri within 1km

not within 5mins walk to mrt though

http://www.onemap.sg/index.html

My wish list

lol i have EXACTLY the same problem

how about signature park....according to onemap.sg: pei hwa and bukit timah pri within 1km

not within 5mins walk to mrt though

http://www.onemap.sg/index.html
    they are not considered good schools i think - never heard of them

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    actually i not sure...bo kids wor

but onemap website is useful to chk out ppty near ur 'desired' schools

actually i not sure...bo kids wor

but onemap website is useful to chk out ppty near ur 'desired' schools
    i use this http://www.elite.com.sg/primary-schools.page

not bad..

mine still some time off, so diligently putting aside the 'donation' monies - about $100k adjusted for inflation as a start i believe. Now looking at either grange or robin

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/co...ked-popularity

From the data in the link, some of the schools almost 4 times oversubscribed haa haa... balloting required for within 1km.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop

From the data in the link, some of the schools almost 4 times oversubscribed haa haa... balloting required for within 1km.
    thanks, that's really useful! hate this uncertainty in primary schools - would be better if the govt allow citizens to choose what type of primary education they want instead of forcing all of us to choose local. Why only the PRs and FTs can circumvent the system? turban

Pei Hwa is a good school but not a top school, quite good and with a consistent track record already.

donations may not work since singaporeans are now cash rich. schools like nanyang, even stay 1km, volunteer liao, still need to ballot sometimes. even Jim Rogers couldn't buy his daughter a spot in nanyang, still go and do volunteer.

basically, all the top schools will require balloting even if u stay within 1km. so may not be worth it to get a ppty within 1km for the sole purpose of getting into the top school. if later can't get in then very "dui".

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop

If possible, go for "only boys" sch.. the chances is higher than mixed sch.
    The Merlot or Meraspring enable you to choose both ACS(Jr) or SJI(Jr) within 1km.

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    If possible, go for "only boys" sch.. the chances is higher than mixed sch.
    The Merlot or Meraspring enable you to choose both ACS(Jr) or SJI(Jr) within 1km.
    unfortunately old boys affiliation don't apply to girls school so my OBA is useless......

sigh, hate growing up...

I like this topic

how come you never watched the stats in the P1 registration just passed ? Go to that kiasu parent web site. tons of infos.

I assumed you already understand the Phase 2b/2c thing. (2b for parent volunteer/affiliated/clan/church/grassroots/etc, 2c for "public" so to speak).

now bad news: for most top schools, within 1km doesn't guarantee you anything. Most of them need to ballot within 1km, even under 2b. So even you do parent volunteer it doesn't guarantee u anything. And btw, for PV, you need to register 1y in advance. And you need to have special skills for the school to consider you. NYPS have, every year, more than 200 applicants for PV. And they only pick SOME to interview. Imagine ppl living just 5in front of the school, with the mother directing traffic for the school for a year, is not guaranteed a place !

some examples for this year, Catholic High/Ai Tong: within 1km ballot ratio 4 to 1, NYPS 3 to 1.

For the less "hot" ones, within 1km ballot with more than 80% chances you have, (gfoo this is for you) MGS, RGPS, SCGS, Nanhua, etc.

This year Henry Park within 1km no ballot. Very lucky.

But do not expect it to be the same for your year. 1stly, parents have mastered the skill of obtaining an address within 1km. (for example, walk around NYPS: all big bungalows. How can it have hundreds of applicants EVERY YEAR within 1km ? trust me, ppl have ways to get it.) 2nd MOE is going to get all schools to do single session by 2013. That means it will reduce class intake for those big schools (e.g. NYPS!), so more will have balloting.

Every year, come P1 registration, lots of emotions fly. BE PREPARED!

gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    I like this topic

how come you never watched the stats in the P1 registration just passed ? Go to that kiasu parent web site. tons of infos.

I assumed you already understand the Phase 2b/2c thing. (2b for parent volunteer/affiliated/clan/church/grassroots/etc, 2c for "public" so to speak).

now bad news: for most top schools, within 1km doesn't guarantee you anything. Most of them need to ballot within 1km, even under 2b. So even you do parent volunteer it doesn't guarantee u anything. And btw, for PV, you need to register 1y in advance. And you need to have special skills for the school to consider you. NYPS have, every year, more than 200 applicants for PV. And they only pick SOME to interview. Imagine ppl living just 5in front of the school, with the mother directing traffic for the school for a year, is not guaranteed a place !

some examples for this year, Catholic High/Ai Tong: within 1km ballot ratio 4 to 1, NYPS 3 to 1.

For the less "hot" ones, within 1km ballot with more than 80% chances you have, (gfoo this is for you) MGS, RGPS, SCGS, Nanhua, etc.

This year Henry Park within 1km no ballot. Very lucky.

But do not expect it to be the same for your year. 1stly, parents have mastered the skill of obtaining an address within 1km. (for example, walk around NYPS: all big bungalows. How can it have hundreds of applicants EVERY YEAR within 1km ? trust me, ppl have ways to get it.) 2nd MOE is going to get all schools to do single session by 2013. That means it will reduce class intake for those big schools (e.g. NYPS!), so more will have balloting.

Every year, come P1 registration, lots of emotions fly. BE PREPARED!

gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.
    Thanks thanks! Right now setting my sights on SCGS. MGS might be facing tons of competition with all those condo projects along jalan kechil and upp bt timah coming on-line 2014 onwards. And I'd rather not have a rafflesian in the family.

I'm extremely early, but i reckon better start scouting now so that i can grab projects i want when blood starts running in the streets. Between now and primary school, i guess i have only 1 cycle to take advantage of.

Unless of course they announce a Marina Bay Primary but that will not come online till Marina South Residential District is developed, and that's at least 5-7years away.

Right now setting my sights on SCGS. MGS might be facing tons of competition with all those condo projects along jalan kechil and upp bt timah coming on-line 2014 onwards.
    "you have chosen, wisely".

Upp Bt Timah not only has tons of new projects, it already has tons of old projects (Maplewoods, Stirling, Blossomvale, Nexus, etc). It's going to be tough.

SCGS *should* be better. Try to also do PV for them. 2b under 1km is the best you can do. SCGS has no church and clan affiliation, so 2b chance is quite high.

gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.[/quote]

having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...

U guys are simply fantastic! Amk, your in-depth analysis of the P1 registration process is amazing I believe u must have gone through the process for your child already?

Our kid will most probably go back to my Alma mater, nyps. But we haven't quite made up our minds yet. But I totally agree with what some of the forummers shared here- don't aim for those schools with clan or church affiliations. The competition is really tough. Such schools will include nan chiau, kong Hwa, Tao nan, and all the church linked ones.

If you don't mind clementi, there is pei Hwa over there. Or Henry park is also not bad.

Gfoo, comgrats on the arrival of your baby girl! How old is she? MGS is pretty good, compared to SCGS.

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8

having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    U guys are simply fantastic! Amk, your in-depth analysis of the P1 registration process is amazing I believe u must have gone through the process for your child already?

Our kid will most probably go back to my Alma mater, nyps. But we haven't quite made up our minds yet. But I totally agree with what some of the forummers shared here- don't aim for those schools with clan or church affiliations. The competition is really tough. Such schools will include nan chiau, kong Hwa, Tao nan, and all the church linked ones.

If you don't mind clementi, there is pei Hwa over there. Or Henry park is also not bad.

Gfoo, comgrats on the arrival of your baby girl! How old is she? MGS is pretty good, compared to SCGS.
    Thanks! MGS unfortunately benefits zilch from it's boys school affiliate. So i guess i'm stuck with SC

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    "you have chosen, wisely".

Upp Bt Timah not only has tons of new projects, it already has tons of old projects (Maplewoods, Stirling, Blossomvale, Nexus, etc). It's going to be tough.

SCGS *should* be better. Try to also do PV for them. 2b under 1km is the best you can do. SCGS has no church and clan affiliation, so 2b chance is quite high.
    Yeah, within 1km of SC also lies ACPS and SJI. The area is still mostly landed or low-density condos, and is far away from Newton which is getting overcrowded. Definitely will pitch for PV

(and to think i use to laff at my mates who used to talk about PV)